Welcome to Monteforte

UNESCO World Heritage Site in the National Park of Cilento

Monteforte

Presentation of the project


These web pages are born from a project carried out as part of the Local Development Plan of Gal Cilento Regeneratio (measure 313 Rural Development Programme of the Region of Campania 2007-2013), whose objectives are aimed at the promotion of land resources of the City of Monteforte Cilento.

The municipality


Located within Cilento National Park, inscribed on the World Heritage List UNESCO, Monteforte Cilento is located in a dominant position on the valley of Alento, perched on the steep slopes of Mount Chianiello, above it. The area is characterized by large differences in height ranging from 150 meters above sea level of the river at 1314 meters of the top of the same mountain, paradise for the wildlife of the area and the cradle of high biological diversity.

Monteforte falls also in the areas of the Natura 2000 network relate to Alento River and the Mountains Soprano and Vesole. The presence of vegetation typical of the Southern Apennines makes this place one of the richest communities in terms of fauna and flora. The tree cover of Mount Chianello, in the mountain zone ranging from 800 to 1000 meters above sea level It is characterized by hornbeam, as well as maple, ash, flowering ash and oak.

The second range of altitudes within 800 meters above sea level, is characterized by dense Mediterranean vegetation and forests of chestnut, oak, make, oaks and cedars. The portion of the historic center (about 600 mt. Above sea level) to the valley landscape is extremely varied and impressive, as there alternate scenarios fields (the famous “small fields”, with promiscuous crops intended mainly for family consumption) and large areas of Mediterranean re-naturalized. At the waterways of the valley four ancient watermills are witnesses of traditional agriculture based on the cultivation of cereals.

The Village of Monteforte


Of ancient origin, this small village still reveals today in its structure housing the configuration resulting from medieval fortifications, so that those who venture today between the lanes of the old town can have fun to flush out the remnants of the arches, the walls and passages of ' ancient castle, the ruins of which are fully incorporated into the village. Ancient courtyard seems now insist the village square, while the old entrance gates correspond to the current road access. In the historical center, characterized by a typical compact tissue and "organic" of medieval towns perched, there are the St. Peter Church, the St. Maria Assunta Church and the chapel dedicated to the patron St. Donato of Monteforte, the Chapel of Our Lady of Autuori and the Chapel Our Lady of Grace, the residences of eighteenth century Forte Building and Gorga Building, the Capozzoli Building, Cerulli Building and Scavarone, the sixteenth-century Cartolano Building and the Baronal Building where are the ruins of the old prison.

The name Monteforte seems to derive from Mons Fortis or fortified high ground. It was "castrum", ie a military fortress, and "castellum", a place inhabited by civilians but included in a fortified enclosure. The Lombards and later the Normans to expand and make more secure the castle. In the Middle Ages Monteforte was one of the outposts of the state of the Barony of Novi. In 1144 it became a possession of the Norman Henry, said Monteforte. It was then Barbarino Roberto De Finicolo, Sanseverino principles of Salerno, where in 1463 the king of Naples, Ferdinand of Aragon, granted possession of Monteforte, and even Bartholomew Market. Much later, in 1700, it became the property of the family Ziches. Even the population suffered mixed fortunes. In 1340 the village was attacked by the plague, while the sixteenth century saw a considerable growth of the population and businesses. In 1656 it was still the time of the plague that decimated the population, but the following century witnessed a rebirth of downtown Monteforte, with the construction of new buildings and the expansion of the village.

From an administrative standpoint 1811-1860 Monteforte was part of the district of Gioi, the District of Vallo of the Two Sicilies. During the Kingdom of Italy was part of the district of Gioi, the District of Vallo della Lucania. But the story of Monteforte binds to one of the most important pages in the history of the unification of Italy, the Risorgimento. Here he was born and lived in fact brothers Capozzoli at once heroes and bandits.


Il Borgo di Monteforte

Points of interest


The paronamic viewpoint


Monteforte Cilento is 600 meters above sea level, on the western slope of Mount Chianiello, in highly overview. Looking out from the terrace of Piazza Roma is in fact possible to see the entire Upper Valley of Alento, closed down from the reservoir artificial floor of the Rock, the basin of 1,500,000 cubic meters made possible thanks to a dam on the floor.

The old wash house


In places Gavati you can still see the tanks starting 800, once used as a wash.

The Alento river


The Alento river has a 36 km long course, entirely within the Cilento area. It originates from Mount Le Corne (894 meters above the sea), in the locality in the municipality of Gorga in Stio and it runs through a valley still largely untouched by receiving contributions from many small streams. The Alento dam, built in the territory of Prignano Cilento, gives rise to an artificial lake of about 1.50 square kilometers of extension, an important source of water supply to the area Shortly before flowing into the Tyrrhenian Sea, the Alento flows near the ruins of the ancient Greek city of Elea. The river is torrential, but in the dry season its flow is perennial. Many scientific studies have shown the stable presence of the rare otter (Lutra Lutra,) whose areal, declining in the rest of Italy, is stable insidethe historic river systems of historic Lucania (Cilento, Basilicata and Northern Calabria) and Irpinia. The river is mentioned in antiquity by Cicero and Strabo connects it to the name "Elea", greek name Velia.

The crest of Mount Chianiello


The Woods of Mount Chianiello is characterized by the presence of magnificent oak woods, oaks and dense Mediterranean where prevails oak. You 'can get on top of the mountain along the path of the goddesses of rock that runs through the forest of the same name and from there continue on the street or Valdicioffo or Mount Vesole. This trekking route offering a unique panorama: from the Amalfi Coast to Capri, from the mountains to the Massif Alburni Cervati. The name of the path is linked to the presence along the path of limestone carved from the elements that seem to form divine appearance.

The small fields


Protagonists of the rural landscape of Cilento are farming systems such promiscuous cultivation of small fields. Mostly in the vicinity of residential areas, and in areas where there is availability of water, they represent the continuation of a use that sees agricultural production mainly aimed consumption. For this reason the organization of the property, however small, must be divided into even smaller (also located in different places) destinandole the production of oil, wine, vegetables, cereals, some frugal tree crops (varieties apple and pear, fig...) and hay (intercropping rather to the vineyard, in the areas of mixed orchard, or in the spaces is) useful for the maintenance of those few leaders raised animals (rabbits, sheep, pigs, chickens). The slope at the foot of the Monteforte village welcomes one of the most consistent and interesting mosaics of this particular organization of the rural area and it is immersed in the path just left the historic core. Of particular interest is the system of terracing present in this area. Typical of the Mediterranean, but it spread throughout the world, often associated with the cultivation of olive trees or that the vineyard becomes a real element of building up the landscape. The slopes and hills of the northern Mediterranean have resisted erosion over time and have the form we know thanks to this titanic work and prolonged, resulting in artificial ecosystems of great charm and tradition. Basic hydrogeological and agriculture, the drywall on which such systems are based safeguards slopes by runoff in preserving the site cropland. Moreover, along with the vegetation creates a microclimate that favors the cultivation and life in general.

The Capozzoli Building


Donato, Domenico and Patrizio Capozzoli were three brothers of Monteforte wealthy family, commonly called "Briganti Capozzoli". In the footsteps of his father, who in 1817 had created just a gang of robbers, they formed a group that would have been raging for nearly a decade. The brothers Capozzoli however, showed right away bearers of liberal ideas, so as to participate in at least from 1820 to the Carboneria: the story goes, that same year, were seen kissing the tricolor in Magliano Vetere. So they created the conditions for the organization of revolutionary action themselves. The Capozzoli also came into contact with another famous character Cilento, Canon Maria Antonio de Luca, in charge of organizing the riots of 1828. This revolution was supposed to lead to the Constitution and to better living conditions of the farmers. The motions departed from Palinuro and then extended in Camerota, Bosco, Acquaviva, Roccagloriosa, Montano and Cuccaro Vetere. Wherever the brothers Capozzoli were hailed as heroes. The speed with which the revolt had spread convinced King Francis I to entrust the repression Colonel Del Carretto, known for its ferocity. The revolt was put down in blood, the village of Bosco burned. While the brothers Capozzoli repaired in Corsica, Antonio Maria de Luca was caught with a vile ploy and sentenced to death. Who returned home in 1829, betrayed by a former partner, they were captured in Perito, imprisoned and then shot. Monteforte remember them today with a monument in their honor on the side of the Palace Capozzoli in eternal memory of their contribution to the achievement of freedom at the dawn of the Renaissance in Italy.

The St. Peter Church


The St. Peter Church has a façade of particular interest, thanks to a stone portal of medieval mark with an architrave resting on shelves, and a window with pointed arch above it.In the interior, simple and austere, we can note the the mighty stone arcosolium and the small presbitery with paintings on the wall and on the pendentives of the dome. Beside the altar there are some funeral inscriptions (XVII century), whose origin appears to be linked to an pre-existent chapel, probably belonging to the old castle. On the entrance wall there is a niche with a statue of the saint , While an ancient stone stoup protrudes from the side wall.

The Church of St. Maria Assunta


The The Church of Santa Maria Assunta, which was probably built between the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries on the remains of the walls and watchtower of the old castle. The facade features a broken stone arch and is embellished by a votive statue of the Madonna, modeled in archaic pose widespread in the Middle Ages. The structure is distinguished by its majestic bell tower. Restored in the eighteenth century, has an interior with baroque character, bright and very rich, with three precious altars of which the principal is placed on the back of the presbitery, consisting of a high-space covered by a dome and an apse. Stucco decorations and paintings cover large areas of the interior, reaching the above of mouldings on wich the arches are set, in the ovals flanking the arcosolium and in the pendentives of presbitery.

The Virtual Eco-Museum


Located downtown, the Virtual Eco-Museum and Visit Center is an innovative information and welcome structure that combines the function of information and assistance to hikers that playful and popular typical multimedia installations. It consists of a room and immersive interactive where visitors can embark on a emotional journey to discover the natural and cultural heritage of the Cilento and Monteforte, while in a second installation, the visitor encounters Domenico Capozzoli, historical figure, that answering various questions, it provides valuable information about places, customs and traditions. The museum is also designed for use by disabled and blind people can explore places through journeys of the senses of smell and sound type.

The Water Village


In places Cernaglia, in the immediate vicinity of the river Alento, lies the Water Village, modern and playful nature of education that wants to bring attention to the concept of biodiversity, enhancing the features of the place.

The typical gastronomy


Home of the Mediterranean diet discovered by the famous American nutritionist, Ancel Keys, the Cilento contains a treasure trove of culinary knowledge based on the consumption of cereals, legumes, vegetables and olive oil, bringers of health benefits. Today the Mediterranean diet is known throughout the world, but are still populations of the villages of Cilento who handed down from generation to generation the techniques of cultivation of products and recipes. In Monteforte are worth mentioning The Tarallo and the dish called"Foglie e patate". Certified Product: Marrone of Roccadaspide IGP, the Fico bianco of Cilento DOP, the Caciocavallo silano DOP, i Vini Cilento DOC, the Wines Castel San Lorenzo DOC.

The Video Gallery


The Photo Gallery


Sroll horizzontally with the mouse or touch

The National Park of Cilento


The National Park of Cilento is located in Italy in the southern part of the Provincie of Salerno at the meeting point of the Campania region with the Basilicata region. The Park faces the Tyrrhenian Sea on the west coast of Italy, but for the particular shape of the Italian peninsula which juts deeply in the South and East occupies a central position with respect to the entire Mediterranean basin.

The park, which consists of a coastal environment, mountain and valley covers an area of 180,000 hectares, for its particular geomorphological and microclimatic Park is home to sites of exceptional interest from the physical point of view and vegetation. But the park is primarily a cultural landscape extremely important due to the fact that it managed to keep to this day traces thousands of years of human settlement and its relationship with natural systems, a feature that has led him, in 1998, the inclusion in the prestigious list World Heritage UNESCO..

The City of Monteforte Cilento in the central part of the Park and occupies a position of great interest in its relations ecological and cultural history.

Parco Nazionale del Cilento

Monteforte nel Parco Nazionale del Cilento

Contact form


Fill out the form to receive information

Contact and Informations


Municipality of Monteforte Cilento - phone 0974/996006
www.comune.montefortecilento.sa.it
National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano
Vallo della Lucania - phone: 0974 719911 - www.pncvd.it
Comunità Montana del Calore Salernitano
Roccadaspide - phone 0828/941132 - www.cmcalore.it


Project developed by
Mekanè Produzioni